Waytypes of the stage
The greenway goes from Roanne’s boating river port, as you follow the signposting for the Véloire, soon reaching the former towpath beside the canal. Leaving Briennon, the route takes you over a bridge, a cycle lane helping you across, to rejoin the greenway at Pouilly-sous-Charlieu. This is a stage suitable for all cyclists. The way is straight, but there are a few places where you need to take care, making your presence clear, especially crossing bridges. Also take care tackling the crossroads with larger roads. There are many picnic tables and loungers set out along this stage.
Link to Charlieu
A link for cyclists at the exit to Pouilly allows you to reach Charlieu, designated a Petite Cité de Caractère. This link is entirely along a flat greenway. It takes you past the Couvent des Cordeliers before you arrive in the centre of Charlieu, which is a member of the association Les Plus Beaux Détours en France, the Benedictine abbey the highlight here.
SNCF train stations
- Roanne train station and link by coach from Pouilly /s Charlieu and Charlieu
- Port de Briennon: boating river port; the MuséoParc du Marinier at the port, with barge-museum and outdoor games; close by, the Cistercian Abbey of La Bénisson Dieu.
- Iguerande: the peace monument; the église de St Marcel, a Brionnais church from the 11th and 12th centuries; La Colline du Colombier, a hotel-restaurant in a rural setting, the restaurant run by the famed Troisgros family, the novel accommodation in the form of cadoles, funky cabins.
- Pont du Sornin: associations with famed French engineer Gustave Eiffel.
- St Nizier /s Charlieu: Les Cordeliers Convent
- Charlieu: a member of the association Les Plus Beaux Détours en France, designated a Petite Cité de Caractère en Loire for its fine medieval centre; the Benedictine abbey; the timberframe houses; the Musées de la Soierie et Hospitalier; Saint Philibert Church.