Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
For the time being, between Mâcon and Massieux, there’s no signposting for cyclists (although this should be put in place by the end of 2021), so we recommend you use GPX tracks.
You ride along the Saône towpath (pebbly in parts), a few stretches even covered with large pebbles, plus at certain points there are barriers. On the few narrow stretches you encouter, take care if you are riding with panniers or a trailer.
Warning: at Trévoux, the cycle route is interrupted for c.400m, at the level of the historic town centre, and you need to take care riding along the D933 road here. The Communauté de Communes Dombes Saône Vallée is going to build a landing stage at this point (works scheduled to begin in 2021).
From Genay to Lyon, the cycle route, for the time being consisting of several provisional stretches, should be signposted soon (in autumn 2020).
At Genay, take care getting across the marina Nautic Auto. Dismount to get around here. Then you follow the towpath to the centre of Neuville-sur-Saône.
Best cross Neuville-sur-Saône keeping right beside the Saône (going through a car parking area, then along a stretch of towpath leading to a greenway).
A greenway leads you down the river’s east bank from Fleurieu-sur-Saône to Fontaines-sur-Saône, then cross to the west bank at the bridge to reach Collonges-au-Mont-d’Or. Follow the bicycle lanes marked out along the west bank up to Lyon.
Once in Lyon, there’s a dedicated bicycle lane for you to follow down the Saône’s west bank as far as the Pont Kitchener-Marchand bridge, where you cross to the east bank to reach the well-laid-out quays of the Confluence Quarter, where you can join the ViaRhôna cycle route.
SNCF (French national railways network)
TER line Dijon <> Mâcon <> Lyon
- La Maison Eclusière in Parcieux: Bar and Kitchen House, short circuit and manager | Exhibition, sound and video installations and a playful route to discover the Saône, the operation of the old needle dam and the lock-keeper's job | Bicycle hire | Cultural programme from April to the end of September; concerts, shows, workshops and exhibitions.
- Historic centre of Neuville-sur-Saône: town hall park, old streets, shops.
- Gastronomic restaurant Bocuse in Collonges-au-Mont-d'Or, decorated facade
- Rochetaillée-sur-Saône Automobile Museum: a remarkable collection of old cars, motorcycles and bicycles, in the setting of a former fortified castle rebuilt in the 19th century and its park.
- The lock of Rochetaillée sur Saône and its belvedere
- Les Rives de Saône, landscaping and artistic development (23 works on the theme of River Movie) of 15 km of banks between Rochetaillée-sur-Saône and Lyon Confluence
- Restaurants guinguettes on the banks of the Saône in Rochetaillée-sur-Saône, frying specialities
- L'ile Barbe in Lyon 9ème: some remains of an old abbey, playground and gastronomic restaurant
- La Croix-Rousse soft mode tube, the longest tunnel in Europe reserved for cyclists, pedestrians and buses (1.8 km), which connects the Rhône and the Part-Dieu district.
- La Croix-Rousse: historical district of Les Canuts, the silk workers, discovery of the looms, designer shops, street art...
- Lugdunum: Gallo-Roman theatre and museum, where the festival of the Nuits de Fourvière takes place every summer.
- Notre-Dame de Fourvière Basilica and its exceptional viewpoint, access by the "Ficelle" (funicular) or a network of stairs.
- Old Lyon: cobbled streets, Renaissance buildings, "traboules" (secret passageways between 2 streets) and "bouchons" (simple and convivial restaurants serving traditional cuisine), the Gadagne museum of Lyon history.
- St John's Cathedral
- The old Law Courts
- The peninsula between the Rhône and Saône, the city centre of Lyon, many architectural jewels to be discovered along the Rue de la République, which is partly pedestrianised: the Place des Terreaux, the Museum of Fine Arts, the City Hall, the Opera, the Chamber of Commerce, the Grand Hotel Dieu, the Place Bellecour, etc.
- The Confluence district, converted docks and buildings of contemporary architecture
- The Musée des Confluences, at the confluence of the Rhône and the Saône, a museum of natural history, anthropology, societies and civilisations, remarkable architecture