Vézelay / Flez-Cuzy Saint-Jacques à vélo - Via Vézelay
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
Cycle route from Vézelay to Flez-Cuzy
The cycle route is signposted Saint-Jacques à Vélo as you leave Rue Saint-Pierre, a street coming down directly from Vézelay’s St Mary Magdalene Basilica. You need to push your bike through the village, as its main artery is reserved for pedestrians and delivery vans.
Once on the cycle route, you rapidly leave the famous village of Vézelay, surrounded by its vineyards, to enter, from the place named L’Étang, a more bucolic world and light woods. Here, you won’t encounter many motorized vehicles, but the road is narrow, so be careful of the lack of visibility as you go round bends.
The Burgundian hills may look gentle, but they are demanding and provide you with your first physical test along the route. The rest of this cycle route, certainly up to the Creuse Valley, will prove much flatter.
From Fontenay-près-Vézelay, you come out into open agricultural fields, including cereals and sunflowers, joining the D53 road, followed by the D119, leading you to Tannay.
The first stage finishes at Tannay, which has a railway station. That’s no excuse for abandoning your cycling adventure when you’ve barely begun it! However, the station offers a perfect place to start on the cycle route for those who prefer to avoid the undulating first stage through the Vézelay hills.
- Agence française des chemins de Compostelle – 05 62 27 00 05
- Office du tourisme du Grand Vézelay, 8 rue Saint-Etienne, 89450 Vézelay - 03 86 33 23 69
- Office de Tourisme Tannay-Brinon-Corbigny, 8 Pl. de l'Hôtel de ville, 58800 Corbigny - 09 82 56 94 98
- Agence de développement touristique de l’Yonne
- Agence de développement touristique de la Nièvre,
- Association Amis et Pèlerins de Saint-Jacques de la voie de Vézelay, 24 rue Saint-Pierre, 89450 Vézelay – 03 86 32 38 11
SNCF trains services
The start of the route can be reached from three stations with a short bicycle ride:
- Sermizelles – Vézelay (11km from Vézelay) : 2h40 from Paris (TER)
- Avallon (21km from Vézelay) : 2h50 from Paris (TER), 50min from Auxerre (TER)
- Tannay – Flez-Cuzy (23km from Vézelay)
- Asquins: Église St-Jacques-le-Majeur, if this church is open, ask to see the wall paintings in the 15th-century sacristy
- Vézelay: Basilique Sainte Marie Madeleine : St Mary Magdalene Basilica, the tympanum in the narthex (entrance tower) a masterpiece of Romanesque carving; the Musée Zervos (in the Maison Romain Rolland), home to the finest pieces of the modern art collection of the Christian Zervos bequest; the Musée de l’œuvre Viollet-le-Duc, displaying many original medieval sculptures from the Basilica.