Yssingeaux / Raucoules Via Fluvia
Old railway, Nature & small heritage
1 h 22 min
I begin / Family
The green ribbon of the Via Fluvia continues to unfold along the old railway line here, converted for the enjoyment of both cyclists and hikers. From Yssingeaux to Raucoules, the route crosses open countryside, still marked by the rounded shapes of the area’s sucs, ancient dormant volcanoes. Along the way, take the time to wander around the charming village of Grazac, home to a magnificent Cluniac priory. Reaching Lapte, leave your bike on the square in front of the church to climb to the top of the belfry. Enjoy the beautiful 360° views over the Velay Mountains, then get back on the greenway to reach Oumey Station, starting point for the Velay Express, the last working train service in the area.
Elevation of the stage
184 m 207 m
Waytypes of the stage
Cycle path: 18,76 km By road: 1,81 km
Surface of the stage
Lisse: 19,24 km
Via Fluvia from Yssingeaux to Raucoules
The cycle route crosses Yssingeaux town centre. Reaching the large village of Grazac, the ascent is intense over several dozen metres. Leaving Grazac, there’s a section along a quiet road with little traffic, with a slight gradient up to Lapte. The route is almost wholly along greenways up to Oumey Station. Take care crossing the D105 road (where the signage helps). The cycle route is entirely signposted ‘Via Fluvia’.
Link towards Lavalette Lake
From Lapte, it’s possible to reach Lac de Lavalette via quiet roads (4km)
Link by train via the Dolce Via cycle route
Oumey train station: departure of the tourist train the Velay Express up to Lamarche on the Dolce Via. Reservation in advance required for both you and your bike.
- Yssingeaux: the local market (Thursday mornings)
- La Chapelette: Notre Dame du Bon Secours de la Chapelette, a little votive chapel built by J.J. Maurin in 1854
- Grazac: the Cluniac Priory, which became a possession of Burgundy’s great Cluny Abbey in the year 939
- Lapte: the church dominating the Velay area, a listed historic monument along with its bell-tower, the tallest in the département, or county, of Haute-Loire (at 51m)
- Lac de Lavalette and its dam: 5km from Lapte, with swimming and nautical activities on offer