36,30 km cycling route from Nantes to Clisson
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
Starting point: Nantes Tourisme, opposite the Château de Nantes. Making use of the unbroken cycle tracks created across Nantes’s wider area, Nantes Métropole, the route leads you along the north-south metropolitan axis and the Sèvre-side towpath. This makes a perfect family cycling outing. Between Vertou and Clisson, the track becomes more demanding, taking you along small roads and tracks through vineyards. You ride beside the Sèvre River between Le Pé de Sèvre and Le Pallet before crossing it twice, at Gorges and Clisson.
Alternative for tandems and bikes with trailers
direction Nantes > Vertou, between Pirmil and La Morinière Bridge, stick to the south bank of the Sèvre River.
Link towards Vertou station.
- Nantes Tourisme: 0892 464 044
SNCF train services
- Train stations at Nantes, Vertou and Clisson: regional TER Clisson-Nantes services accept bikes on board, perfect for returning easily to Nantes.
- Beside the Sèvre: mini-market on Beautour causeway, Thursdays 8am to 1pm
- Vertou: Place du Marché, Saturdays and Sundays, 8am to 1pm
- Clisson: Quartier Notre-Dame, Tuesday and Friday mornings; Quartier de la Trinité, Tuesday, 4,30pm to 7pm
Make the most of a culinary pause at Homard à la Frémoire from May to September, enjoying discovering Muscadet wines beside the Sèvre River. To appreciate Clisson to the full, stay overnight:
- La Cascade
- Villa Saint-Antoine
- Nantes: Vaches Nantaises (a special race of cows) at Les Roches Vertes (beside the Sèvre)
- Vertou: La Chaussée des Moines river port
- Clisson: the beautiful Italianate house-cum-museum and gardens of la Garenne Lemot