Maubeuge / Liessies The Scandibérique / EuroVelo 3
Canals & intimate rivers
1 h 44 min
I begin / Family
You may find it hard to leave the intriguing maze formed by Vauban’s amazing ramparts at Maubeuge, but the appealing Avesnois area will make you want to continue your cycling adventure. The greenway, leaving Maubeuge, presents a mix of industrial vestiges, hedgerow-divided fields and forests. As there are many picnic corners along the way, it’s easy to pause to recharge your batteries, or then look in at the Musée du Verre, a glass museum at Sars-Poteries. Those interested might also visit the Musée de la Faïence et de la Poterie in Ferrière-la-Grande. Reaching Lissies, it’s time for a stopover… enjoying a dinner featuring tasty local Maroilles cheese, of course!
Elevation of the stage
128 m 179 m
Waytypes of the stage
Cycle path: 23,27 km By road: 2,95 km
Surface of the stage
Rugueux: 21,98 km Inconnu: 4,23 km
Minor roads up to Ferrière-la-Grande, then a greenway (being resurfaced at time of writing). No particular difficulties on this stage.
Surfaces smooth: compacted tracks or asphalt.
With the V31, the Véloroute de la Sambre, a cycle route along the Sambre Valley and through the Pays de Mormal area.
- Maubeuge train station
- Ferrière la Petite and Solre le Château : the forested ravines
- Ferrière la Petite : le Musée de la cour des potiers (a pottery museum)
- the village de Lez Fontaine
- Sars-Poteries : contemporary glass art at MusVerre
- Solre le Château : the church with its leaning spire
- Liessies : the village and the abbey grounds
- At 6 km from the Voie Verte de l'Avesnois towards Liessies, you will find the station touristique ValJoly (ValJoly tourist Resort) which offers different activities and accommodation solutions: campsites and cottages.