Ferries are useful for travellers from Britain, Ireland or countries to the south of France, especially if you plan to bring your own bike with you.
Ferries to France from the UK and Ireland
- Portsmouth <> St Malo
- Portsmouth <> Caen
- Portsmouth <> Cherbourg
- Plymouth <> Roscoff
- Plymouth <> St Malo
- Portsmouth to Cherbourg service, plus Weymouth and Poole to Saint Malo via Guersey and Jersey Islands.
- The Condor bicycle policy states that foot passengers can transport their bikes free of charge, but bikes must be booked in in advance.
- LD Lines has a Portsmouth <> Le Havre service, as well as a Newhaven <> Dieppe service (Avenue Verte London <>Paris).
- Bikes can be booked via the website (€10 per bike)
- Celticlink Ferries has an 18-hour Rosslare <> Cherbourg service.
- Bikes can be booked in via the website.
- Irish Ferries has services Rosslare <> Roscoff and Rosslare <> Cherbourg.
Ferries to France from Spain and Italy
British cyclists heading for southwest France should look into ferries to and from northern Spain. Brittany Ferries has a Portsmouth to Bilbao service, as well as a Portsmouth to Santander ferry; it also operates sailings from Plymouth to Santander.
Ferries to France from North Africa
- SNCM has a number of ferries that operate between Algeria and Marseille.