Corbeil-Essonnes / Melun The Scandibérique / EuroVelo 3
Canals & intimate rivers
1 h 43 min
I begin / Family
After passing the big former Seine-side mills in the town of Corbeil-Essonnes, the Scandibérique then leads you south along calm riverside stretches, the Seine’s broad meanders lined with woods, the way well shaded. As there are no bridges over the Seine along these parts, this stage proves more peaceful than the preceding ones. Following the Seine’s west bank up to the town of Melun, you pass by some remarkable homes built at the turn of the 19th to the 20th centuries, recalling how prized the banks of the Seine had become for getting away from the city bustle. Many painters, writers, actors and stars were tempted by the charms of these parts to come and stay here!
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Cycle path: 12,83 km By road: 13,35 km
Surface of the stage
Lisse: 12,80 km Rugueux: 8,79 km Accidenté: 1,51 km Inconnu: 3,08 km
The route takes you down the towpath on the west side of the Seine. You alternate between minor roads and cycle paths. Even though the route isn’t signposted EV3, it is easy to follow. At Melun, take care crossing Avenue Thiers.
Surfacing smooth: concrete and asphalt.
- Crossrail RER D station at Corbeil-Essonnes
- Crossrail RER station at Le Coudray-Montceaux
- Crossrail RER D station at Melun
- Transilien train station at Melun
- Corbeil-Essonnes : the Grands Moulins de Corbeil (big Seine-side former mills); Saint-Spire Cathedral and cloisters; the banks of the Essonne River
- Melun : the historic centre; the Ile St-Etienne and Seine quays; the Maison Natale de Jacques Amyot (recalling the 16th-century humanist born here); the Bouquinistes de Melun (book-sellers’ booths by the Seine); Seine cruises from June to September, Musée de la gendarmerie nationale
- Events at the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte nearby, such as :
- Candle-lit evening tours
- Vaux-le-Vicomte Christmas festival
- The Styx, River of the Underworld, a surprising underground tour available at weekends