Canals & intimate rivers
2 h 14 min
I begin / Family
The Scandibérique continues through the Gâtinais area, along the towpath beside the Canal du Loing. This canal crosses gentle landscapes, with a mix of woods, fields and lakes. At the level of the hamlet Les Varennes, to enjoy a recreational break, ride over to the outdoor leisure centre at Souppes-sur-Loing, bathing here a treat on hot days. Also consider a detour to the historic fortified town of Château-Landon, with its interesting heritage. After the hamlet of Pont de Dordives, the cycle route reaches Buges Lock, where the Loing, Briare and Orléans Canals meet. Ride on to the town of Montargis, nicknamed the ‘Little Venice of the Gâtinais’.
3 m 29 m
Greenway beside the Canal du Loing. No particular difficulties along this stage. Signposted EV3.
Surfacing in parts smooth, in parts rough: asphalt, with certain stretches not in such a good state of repair.
- Branch off for Dordives train station and Ferrières/Fontenay train station
- Branch off for Château-Landon (involving a steep climb from the canalside!)
- From Châlette-sur-Loing, there’s a possible alternative route towards Orléans via the Canal d’Orléans (being set up at time of writing, but with rough surfacing for the time being)
- Nemours Saint-Pierre Transilien train station
- Bagneaux-sur-Loing Transilien train station
- Souppes Château-Landon Transilien train station
- Dordives train station (on line R of the Transilien Paris Montargis line)
- Ferrières/Fontenay train station
- Montargis train station
- Nemours: Château Musée; Le Zia, a tourist boat with panoramic windows, departing from Montcourt for Nemours (stopping at the Château de Nemours)
- Souppes-sur-Loing: leisure centre, Loing canal, Cercanceaux abbey
- Dordives: the medieval Château de Mez-le-Maréchal; the Prairie des Étangs (a lake for bathing)
- Ferrières-en-Gâtinais: designated a Petite Cité de Caractère for its historic centre, notably its royal abbey; Cercanceaux Marshes, a protected natural space;
- Cepoy (designated a station verte, for rural traditional holidays): the lakes; the Maison de la Suède (celebrating the village’s twinning via exhibitions on Swedish themes); the confluence of three canals at Buges Lock
- Chalette-sur-Loing: the Site des Trois Canaux (the area where three canals meet); the Base de Loisirs (offering outdoor leisure facilities, including bathing); the Maison de la Nature et de l’Eau (on local nature); the Hutchinson Research Centre (this company has long specialised in rubber, including for bicycle tyres!)
- Montargis: a town nicknamed the Venice of the Gâtinais area and a member of the Les Plus Beaux Détours de France, for its historic riches. Also discover the surprising link with former Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping and how Montargis played a startling role in forging Franco-Chinese relations.