Montargis / Rogny-les-Sept-Écluses The Scandibérique / EuroVelo 3
Canals & intimate rivers
2 h 18 min
I begin / Family
Leaving Montargis, you change canal, the Scandibérique leading you on via the towpath beside the Canal de Briare. The Loing River meanders on by next to the canal, providing a green setting along this most peaceful of stages. Greet the lock-keepers and those on boats on the canal as you head down this friendly waterway, the route dotted with charming Gâtinais villages. You reach the highlight of this stage of the Scandibérique adventure at Rogny les 7 Écluses, the name giving away the reason for this village’s fame – its flight of seven locks! Do pause here for a picnic, taking in the grand view.
Elevation of the stage
27 m 82 m
Waytypes of the stage
Cycle path: 30,88 km By road: 3,85 km Provisional itinerary: 3,85 km
Surface of the stage
Lisse: 25,08 km Rugueux: 9,52 km Inconnu: 0,13 km
On a greenway along the Briare Canal and on minor roads. No particular difficulties along this stage. Signposted EV3.
Surfacing in parts smooth, in parts rough: asphalt in more or less good condition along the towpath, with some stretches of compacted tracks.
Towards Montargis train station
- Montargis train station
- Montargis: a town nicknamed the Venice of the Gâtinais area and a member of the Les Plus Beaux Détours de France, for its historic riches. Also discover the surprising link with former Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping and how Montargis played a startling role in forging Franco-Chinese relations.
- Amilly: the Tanneries, a contemporary art centre; Moulin Bardin, a restored 19th-century mill
- Montbouy: vestiges of a Gallo-Roman amphitheatre
- Châtillon-Coligny: Musée Historique de l’Ancien Hôtel-Dieu
- Rogny-les-Sept-Écluses: the historic flight of seven locks