Elevation of the stage
Grande Traversée du Jura VTT by mountain bike from Chapelle-Des-Bois to Lajoux
This stage includes very steep climbs and descents, adding up to a total positive elevation of over 950m. The physical effort of this mountain bike trail is eased by the fact that most of it is along forest tracks. There is a technically demanding descent just before Les Rousses, followed by a difficult ascent between Le Bief de la Chaille and Le Bois de Ban.
Four portions of ‘GTJ Light’ are described in the Carto Guide of the "GTJ à VTT" to enable you to bypass the main difficult technical challenges along this stage.
- Chapelle des Bois: A little village typical of the Haut-Doubs, a great pull for cross-country skiing, with its Scandinavian looks. Here, nature is king, with lakes and peat bogs, Le Risoux Cliff, and mountain flora to admire.
- Forêt du Risoux: a refuge for capercaillie and lynx.
- Les Rousses: a ski resort, with ski museum, plus the Fort des Rousses and Comté cheese ageing cellars. Les Rousses Lake and the Musée de la Boissellerie (on local wooden boxes) at Bois d'Amont.
- Forêt du Massacre, with its extraordinary spruce, the épicéa muté (thick at the base, but with a thin column of branches up top)
- Lajoux: Maison du Parc Naturel Régional du Haut Jura, introducing this protected area