16 long distance cycling routes through Europe
EuroVelo is a brilliant initiative for cyclists, a network of 16 long-distance cycle routes, known as EuroVelo routes, crisscrossing Europe. Once complete, the network will cover 70,000km. France is spoilt with 9 EuroVelo routes crossing the country, offering over 6,000km to explore. Discover more about these routes below.
What is a EuroVelo route?
- A cycle route crossing several European countries, joining together national or regional cycle routes.
- It must be at least 1,000km in length.
- It must be specially signposted, with signs visible in both directions.
How do you recognize a EuroVelo route?
- All the EuroVelo routes share a common logo – the European Union flag, with the route’s number indicated in the centre.
- Each number corresponds to the EuroVelo route concerned.
Which EuroVelo routes cross France?
- Seven EuroVelo routes go across France, offering 6,000km of marked cycle routes.
- Some of the routes are described on this website (EV 1, EV 3, EV 6)!